Friday 19 April 2013

Day 41

Hello dear Reader, after yesterday''s excitement a much quieter day today. Well apart from Olivia the PPI woman trying to call a few times. I did not bother to answer. The song Like a Virgin by Madonna has just come on the radio.

This song Like a Virgin takes me back to 1985 (I think, I am thirty-nine, dear Reader so I might be a year out, give or take) Now if you remember dear Reader, (I trust your memory is better than mine.) I have chatted before on here about my totally different religious upbringing that when my Ma and Pa were together that my Ma was in the Salvation Army and my Pa is a Spiritualist (they later divorced but the  different religious views were nothing to do with it). Anyway this recall of memory is an experience at the Salvation Army back in 1985 (I think).

I attended both my parents' churches on a regular basis and we were even Junior Soldiers at the Salvation Army. When attending the Salvation Army there was a variety of different clubs that you could join. The Singing Company was one such thing. The Singing Company is basically the choir and they practise through the week, before performing live in the Sunday service.

Now to get into the Singing Company you had to audition. It was not like the X Factor or anything--there was no Gary Barlow or Simon Cowell, just the lady called the YPSM (Young People's Sergent Major) So guess what gormless here decided to do for the audition? Yes that is right Like A Virgin by Madonna. I had seen the video on Top of the Pops. I knew the moves. Apart from of course at my very young naive age I did not actually know what 'virgin' meant, I did not know the meaning of the word and what the content exactly was referring to in Madonna's song.

So there I was best Ra Ra skirt on (Do you remember them dear Reader?)  With a cassette taped from my older cousins album. There may (knowing me at the time)  have been legwarmers involved too. So I walk in and practise a bit with the tape, then I'm up time for the audition. Off I go with a word perfect start with a few moves thrown in too. Like a viiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.  I sing away. Well I did not make it to the second verse. 
"OK, you're in" she tells me. I was in the Singing Company. I had no idea at the time just what a complete embarrassing moment that must have been. So dear Reader, I don't know what passed me through that audition--if it was the pure talent of my singing voice or the fact that the YPSM was so wanting me to stop singing this totally inappropriate song in case some one overheard. That got me the gig!

Evening all x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment