Thursday 4 July 2013

Day 117

I was sad to hear the news today that the singer and actress Bernie Nolan lost her fight against breast cancer and sadly passed away. She was only aged 52 and she leaves a husband and child behind. How sad for Bernie and all her family.

It is amazing how we can put a man on the moon and have all this fantastic technology and we have yet to find a cure for cancer. What is so cruel in Bernie's case is that she had been given the all clear only for the cancer to return months later, more aggressive and it had spread all over her body--so she knew she was living on borrowed time.

I lost both my grandparents to cancer. I know if it was not for cancer my gran would have gone on to live to be 100. She was just so active. So was my grandfather until the cancer struck. My grandfather was aged 67 and was a very fit and active man until cancer struck. He had lung cancer and he was a non-smoker. But he was a coal miner so perhaps it was down to the coal dust etc that the miners came in contact with day in day out.

My grandparents were very brave. The last time I saw my gran, although she was trying to hide it from me, it was clear she was in a lot of pain. But she remained at home and had no drip with strong painkillers and the same with my grandfather--he remained at home and neither of them ever complained to me about the hell they were going through.

So let's hope and pray, dear Reader, that a cure is found soon. Let's give what we can to the cancer charities. Lets give all our support to friends and family members who are battling the disease, because we all must know someone who has had it--and my thoughts and prayers go out to them and their families.

Evening all x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment